Friday, July 2, 2010

Uncertainty

TRANSPARENCY: I believe that humans, at this point, have no precise way of knowing if there is a God and exactly who He is even IF he/she did exist. As we progress further, maybe it will become evident, but as of this moment, we are relying on man-made accounts, and I think we all know how humans can exaggerate stories. In my mind, my official category of thinking would be under the "I don't know" section. I simply don't know what happened to get us here and I don't know what will happen. What I can tell you is that I believed for many years that I would be "raptured" along with the world's other Christians to reunite with Jesus before the Anti-Christ took rule over the world. Predictions for the rapture came frequently from the church....1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 ( Y2K was the absolute definite end of the world), 2001 (the 9/11 attacks were to usher in the anti-Christ), 2006, 2010, and now the latest is the 2012 end of the Mayan calendar. You can only "cry wolf" a certain number of times before people start to catch on. Fear controls people's lives (mainly their pocketbooks), but when we really breakdown what's creating this fear, I believe that the culprits are the pastors and churches everywhere. The end of the world fear is almost as terrifying as the Lake of Fire fear so it puts urgency into people's lives to tithe and "spread the word" (basically, so that more people will tithe.) Anyways, I digress, I would like for you to think about this question....if there were no incentive (Heaven), would you still believe in God?

5 comments:

Pam said...

Jason, I'm really glad you started this blog. you are so much braver than I am. I've discovered that when you discuss such issues, some people get easily upset, because it threatens their spiritual comfort zone. I admit that "I don't know". That is exactly why I continue in my study for the truth. It's been almost 2 years of study for me too. I started out just simply trying to get to know God better so that I could love God with all of my heart and soul like the first commandment says. I knew that I didn't love God THAT MUCH! Not even close to the love that I had for my boys. How can we truly love God that much if we don't know much about Him; we've never seen him, never had a truly personal relationship with him. I prayed about it, and ask God to reveal himself to me. I also prayed for wisdom and knowledge, and I have discovered so much that is contrary to what I had always believed in the past. I still believe in God as the Creator, but hestitate to share my beliefs on so called religion until I have all of my research complete. It's amazing how the search for one thing leads to another, then another, so on and so on. I'm still shocked at some of the things I've discovered. Well, enough of my ramblings. Continue this blog, I look forward to reading more.

ragzy said...

All I can really say is thank you Pam. You and I are on the same path. I want to sift through the research and discover something new and true as well. Coming up, I am going to dive into things like homosexuality, church revenues, more in-depth evolution studies, and other religions and why they believe what they believe. I've already taken some heat, but I am just a seeker of truth so I'm really not affected by any negativity. Love always, Jason.

raisemeup said...

I’m sorry to hear that you have turned away from the Lord. What church did you belong to? I am a Christian and never once heard predictions from the church for the rapture from 1996 to 2001, 2006, 2010 nor 2012 (Mayan predictions aren’t coming from Christians). I think perhaps you have just been listening to the wrong people. The answer to your question is an unequivocal YES!

What’s bizarre is that the situation is exactly the opposite of what your other respondent describes. I rather find you more a coward than brave because you are simply agreeing with the world. This is something that is comfortable and easy to do that doesn’t create conflict. It is easy to talk to others about evolution, but talking about Jesus or creation theory is what gets people easily upset and threatens their comfort zone. You need not worry about getting fired from your job because of the bigoted view of evolutionists, which is what has happened to many professionals who have even mentioned the possibility of evidence contrary to evolution.

ragzy said...

Okay man/woman, calling me a coward is in no way shape or form getting your point across. I never used anything close to this type of language in expressing my views so that will not be tolerated on this blog. I am very interested to hear anyone's views on this subject, but name calling will not be acceptable.

ragzy said...

And I would like to add that in America, for the most part, atheists are criticized and discriminated for their beliefs at work. I'm not sure what country/area you reside in or were brought up in, but America is a nation "under God." So your calling my views cowardice is totally diametric.